Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I Don't Miss the Floppy Disk

I'm starting to feel like a crusty old codger starting stories like this, but here goes...

Back in the day when floppy disks were used to load software on a computer, it could take hours and hours just to install something - if you were lucky enough to not have some sort of fatal disk error or a sticking / corrupted floppy.

I remember installing Harvard Graphics for Windows 3.0, and it was so immensely huge that the installation came on twenty-six 3 1/2 inch floppies, or something like that. The odds that all 26 would work flawlessly were somewhere between slim and none.


Why do I bring this up?

Only to point out that the Rosetta Disk, a 3-inch nickel disk, contains 13,500 pages of the world's languages, and you need a 500x microscope to read a single page.
We've come a long way in 20 years.

I wonder if all the knowledge in the world can be written on a chip and implanted in my brain before I die?


13,500 Pages of Data Etched on a 3 Inch Disk , via Geekologie


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell me what you think.