Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Big 5-0

Everyone's favorite tasty treat (and every college student's lifeline to increase sodium intake while holding off starvation) is turning 50.

That's right, the ramen noodle has hit the half-century mark. I know what you're thinking - that dried up pasta cake tastes like it's 50 before you cook it. While certainly true, the moment you add boiling water to the mix, and stir in that mystery packet of herbs and spices, ramen is transformed from astronaut grub to asian delicacy.


Ah, the memories of frigid winter nights on the Korean peninsula, chasing puffy clouds of my own breath as I jogged from the main gate to the MP station at 3 AM, ready to kick back for a break, positively giddy upon opening the door and having my nostrils flare as they were accosted by the peppery scent of freshly made ramen. After downing a large bowl, I would jog back for another shift on the camp's perimeter, ramen-induced sniffles freezing solidly before I could make it the 25 yards to my destination.

Good times, good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell me what you think.