Tuesday, August 19, 2008

From NBC News

A day after John McCain told the Veterans of Foreign Wars that Barack Obama would "choose the path of retreat and failure for America" regarding the conflict in Iraq, the Illinois senator demanded before the same group today that McCain not question his patriotism.

"I have never suggested that Sen. McCain picks his positions on national security based on politics or personal ambition. I have not suggested it, because I believe that he genuinely wants to serve America’s national interest. Now it’s time for him to acknowledge that I want to do the same," Obama declared in a roughly 30-minute speech to an audience of 3,000 here.

"Let me be clear: I will let no one question my love of this country. I love America, so do you, and so does John McCain. When I look out at this audience, I see people of different political views. You are Democrats and Republicans and independents. But you all served together, and fought together, and bled together under the same proud flag. You did not serve a Red America or a Blue America -- you served the United States of America.

Obama drew applause when he said the candidates should instead focus on the issues. “Let’s have a serious debate, and let’s debate our disagreements on the merits of policy -- not on personal attacks,” he said. “No matter how heated it gets or what kind of campaign he chooses to run, I will honor Sen. McCain’s service, just like I honor the service of every veteran in this room, and every American who has worn the uniform of the United States of America.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell me what you think.