Monday, June 8, 2009

Fatigue - A Poem of Dying

A few weeks ago I stumbled on a very special blog, written by Michael, that was about photography, life, and for the last several years, the act of dying.

Michael was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer in 2002, and his blog continued to be a multi-facet view of his existence.

If you want to read more and explore, please visit his blog, One Foot In Front Of The Other and peruse his works. For now, please take a moment to read this poetry that Michael posted shortly before he left the bounds of this Earth. The comments are worth a read, too - at least most of them.

Looking in my bathroom mirror
I see the steady progress of death
as he moves like an eclipse
across my face

My skin grows more taut
my beard is shot through with gray
my eyes are increasingly bloodshot
I can't recognize this person staring back at me --
in fact
this stranger is scaring me

My physical weakness astounds me
my arms don't listen anymore
my sense of balance has forsaken me

But, blessing of blessings
I can still feel the life spark
I can still feel the life spark


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell me what you think.