Friday, January 9, 2009

Squirrel Chips

I never ate many small game animals, even though I grew up in the mountains of central Pennsylvania. My grandfather on my mother's side, who died when I was 7, ate enough for everyone. I think he would have enjoyed these new squirrel chips.
Pap Pap was a big time hunter, having been born in the 1890s, and I have vivid memories of his freezer containing deer venison and sausage, rabbit, and the occasional squirrel. I can also recall conversations about his wife making a tasty rabbit or squirrel pot pie, a very Pennsylvania Dutch meal, with raw white onion sprinkled over the top.

So when UK-based Walker's Crisps introduced a new squirrel-flavored crisp (chip, for us ugly Americans), I immediately thought of Pap Pap. I'm guessing he would grumble about the folks who ate the crisps for that wonderful squirrel flavor but were too lazy to actually go out and kill a squirrel themselves. That's not how they did it is his day. 

It's interesting that it took a panel of judges, including a celebrity chef, to sift through the multiple squirrel flavorings to find the one they agreed was best. Somehow I'm thinking North American red squirrel with a hint of garlic aoili didn't make it into the finals.

The other item that confuses me is the official flavor - "Cajun Squirrel!" I've made many visits to the bayou, and have choked down some unusual fare, but never "Cajun Squirrel!" I'm hoping that the Walker's marketing drones decided that applying "cajun" to the moniker would drive appeal and sales as opposed to, say, "Manchester Squirrel!" 

I know the Brits are having difficulties with the larger American brown squirrel dominating the smaller, more apologetic British grey squirrel, so perhaps this is another volley in that battle. If the locals develop a taste for the bushy-tailed creatures, maybe they will begin to pluck them out of trees as a culinary addition to everyday meals.

Care for a spot of squirrel, luv?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell me what you think.