Saturday, July 18, 2009

hilzoy Says Goodbye

Her voice of reason, moderation, and respect will be missed in the vast wasteland of bloggers for whom tirades and unsupportable accusations have become the wrenches and screwdrivers too often pulled from their toolboxes.

A couple of her farewell thoughts, why she got into blogging in the first place, help frame both the value of her presence and the void that will be her absence:

As I said before, one of the things that led me to start blogging in the first place was the fact that I thought the country had gone crazy, and one of the things that particularly bothered me was the sheer level of invective and hatred that people seemed to feel comfortable directing at one another. I hated this, not just in itself, but because I thought: this harms us all. 

And:

This matters for policy: you're unlikely to choose sound policies if you assume that anyone who disagrees with you is a depraved, corrupt imbecile. It's hard to learn anything from people you have completely written off. But it's also corrosive to any kind of community or dialogue to assume the worst about large numbers of people you've never met. It makes you less willing to try to take their problems seriously, and to try to figure out how they might be solved, or to try to understand what's driving them. 

And:

When I started blogging, I thought: with all the craziness and vitriol that's flying around, it's worth at least trying to do something like that. I wanted to make it as easy as possible for people to be informed, by covering stories that weren't being covered, and by always linking to my primary sources, so that only one of us had to spend time figuring out how to find some bill or GAO report, for instance; and to fact-check claims that struck me as dubious, and that were being accepted.

Let's hope that one hundred typists step up to fill her shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell me what you think.