Sunday, February 28, 2010

Surgical Assassination vs. Collateral Damage

I've been doing a lot of reading about the alleged Mossad assassination of a Hamas leader in a Dubai hotel in January.

I've watched the available security videos and perused commentary from every conceivable perspective.

Sounds like a classic black bag operation.
Fighting terrorists is a messy business.

I'm reminded of the movie Grosse Pointe Blank, where John Cusack's character utters the following phrase:

When I left, I joined the army, and when I took the service exam my psych profile fit a certain... moral flexibility would be the only way to describe it... and I was loaned out to a CIA-sponsored program, and we sort of found each other. That's how it works.

In a perfect world, people wouldn't get drugged and suffocated in hotel rooms, but we don't live in a perfect world. And this approach seems extraordinarily preferable to Predator drones killing innocent women and children along with the intended target.

If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell me what you think.