Monday, July 20, 2009

Barbie Makeup for Adults

When I heard that Tony Romo had broken up with Jessica Simpson on the day before her birthday, my first thought was that he was a bit of a cad. Who picks the day before a birthday to drop the hammer?

Then I heard that J-Simp was planning a Barbie-themed party, and that sealed the deal for me. No self-respecting NFL player could ever survive in the locker room once he attended such an event, regardless of whether he was asked to portray Ken.

At some point, it's time to grow up and leave the toys of youth behind. At least that's what I thought. Mattel seems to be of a different mindset, driven by profit, no doubt.

The toy congolmerate is launching a line of makeup, targeting adults aged 25-40, called "All Dolled Up," because what grown women doesn't want to come off as a plastic, superficial object enjoyed by tots and tweens, face eternally frozen into an age of indeterminate youth?

One of the first sentences my young son learned was, "Barbie is sexist crap!" Perhaps now that he's nine, we should have him give Mattel a call.

Mattel Launches Barbie Makeup Line -- For Adults, via 5 Blogs Before Lunch

Image by Gallerygal via Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell me what you think.